Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Home Remedies

Hey there folks.

Our first brew is getting really close. things are as close as they can be to in place without beer actually fermenting. I wanted to do something to get the good people of Oklahoma excited about my beer, and since you can't taste it just yet, I thought the next best thing would be for you all to try and brew it.

So here are three homebrew size recipes for 5 gallon batches of some of the more warm weather appropriate beers I'll be releasing:
(sorry extract brewers, I'm not exactly sure what appropriate substitutions would be)

Lazy Bully Lager:
7 lb Pilsner malt
4 lb Munich 2 or Dark Munich (I prefer Weyerman, but other brands will do)
8 oz carahell
4 oz carared

Mash at 153 for 60 minutes or until conversion is complete (I prefer to do a step mash with this one on the big system, but I know that's a pain for homebrewing. 153 should get things just about right(

After mash and run-off is complete, its boil time. this beer has a 90 minute boil with the following hop schedule:

.5 oz northern brewer hops @90
1 oz Northern brewer hops @15
.5 oz Northern Brewer and 1 oz Tettnang @KO

Cool to between 60 and 65 degrees and ferment with a steam beer yeast. I prefer the san fran lager strain from wyeast, but they're all good.


The Molly Rae Wit Beer:
5 lb pilsner malt
3 lb white wheat malt
1 lb unmalted wheat
1 lb flaked oats

I'd really recommend a protein rest for this one, but if you can't make it happen that's no big deal. rest at 149 until conversion.

Boil for sixty minutes

.5 oz perle hops at 60
since this is a wit beer, you're sure gonna need some spices. A half ounce of orange peel for 10 minutes and a teaspoon or 2 of corriander at 5 minutes should do the job. I don't think I'll release my exact spice blend, but some lavender and chamomile wouldn't be amiss for a clone beer.
.5 oz tettnang at KO

ferment with a classic belgian wit strain, try to hold it around 68 to 70 degrees.

Snake Oil IPA
10 lbs pale malt or american 2 row
1 lb biscuit malt
2 lb Munich 2 or Dark Munich
1 lb cara-red
8 oz cara aroma

Mash this around 153. I know homebrewers can sometimes be shy about using more then whatever percent of crystal malt Gordon Strong has advised to use in any given beer, but trust me here. the sweetness and extra body is going to balance really really well with the hops that are going into this beer. Also, a tablespoon of gypsum in the mash might help give a better mouth-feel, depending on your local water chemistry.

This one is a 120 minute boil.
1 oz perle @ 120
2 oz fuggles @ 15
4 oz EKGs @ 5

ferment with your favorite english ale yeast, and dry hop with 2 oz of EKG and 2 oz of Fuggles.

1 comment:

  1. saw your story here. great stuff>>

    http://www.oklahomacraftbeer.com/2013/08/the-doctor-is-in.html?showComment=1377755794986#c7209591017282510873

    your childhood friend, dan McMahon.

    ReplyDelete