Monday, June 24, 2013

The Method Behind the Madness

Time for a little progress report. I think I've settled on a supplier for a potential pilot system, though I won't name him just yet so as not to jinx things. Hopefully this 3 vessel, 1 bbl system finds some floor space to live in, otherwise it's just going to be the most over-powered home brew system I've ever heard of in my life.

I'm shopping around for cooperage as well. I like the idea of renting kegs rather then buying them, partly because I expect Tulsa won't be the last stop on my journey, but mostly because I have a pretty tight (i.e. almost non-existent) budget to work with. I am going to try and go with a company that offers lease to own options, which is something I would recommend other brewers in a similar situation to my own do as well. Every brewery I've worked for, with, near to, or heard about in my career so far has a cooperage issue, and stainless steel sure ain't getting any cheaper.

I'm also still in the market for some stable space. I'm starting to look for a brewer somewhere in the Midwest (preferably Oklahoma, but beggars can't be choosers) Who has the capacity to contract my flagship, Lazy Bully Lager. This will free me up to find a space in either Tulsa or OKC to physically brew all the various specialty beers, one offs, and seasonal products I want to do, which is really my bread and butter.

So that's that. I'd also like to take a moment here and elaborate a little bit on what exactly I'm trying to do here. For lack of a better term, this is the "beer philosophy" that Doc Buckman's will be operating under.

The way I brew is very simple. I pick one ingredient  like a particular yeast strain, a type of malt, a particular hop variety, or a specific technique like a sour mash or decoction, and then I work backwards. I try my best to then highlight that particular item in a unique beer style. For example, Lazy Bully Lager is all about dark Munich malt. The breadiness and amber color are the focus of the beer. But the key for me always has been and always will be balance. You're not gonna see a beer from me at 112 IBU or 18% ABV. Of course, many breweries do that kind of stuff and do it really well. I'll drink those on my (few and far between) days spent not working.

Brewing for me is about the challenge and the art form. I know it sounds corny, but if I was looking for a career to make a serious profit in and then live off my 401k once I hit 65, I'd be doing anything but this. Anything I brew is going to be challenging to get right. I'm confident enough to think I'll be able to get it right most of the time, but there will likely be some mistakes and less then amazing batches as well. I think that's part of the fun, and hopefully my customers (that's all you fine folks) agree.

I also believe the challenge goes both ways. I don't intend to put out a lot of "Easy drinking" one note type of products. These beers are gonna pack a punch, they're gonna be complex. I want someone drinking my beers to be able to take a few minutes and really think about what they're tasting.

Yeah, it's a little ideological for sure. Hopefully it works out. I think it'll be fine. Trust me, I'm a doctor.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there's one thing I enjoy it's a malty beer. The first I want to introduce you to is Dead Armadillo Brewery (http://www.deadarmadillobrewery.com/) that just released a heavenly amber ale earlier this month. Very sweet, malt forward with small bitter finish. Prairie Artisan Ales (www.prairieales.com) has exploded here as well with some of those "odd" concoctions you mentioned above. Looking forward to share a pint and roll out the welcome wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like when we make one of kind bread or small batch ice cream .
    kudos.

    ReplyDelete